Every journey begins...

Posted in: - 0 comments
...With a single step.

I write this with a flurry of panic & excitement in my chest as I've just booked my flight out of here and in to the land of Oz. What more is that I purchased a one way ticket; no turning back now and no return - both metaphorically and literally.

I've been in possession of a confirmed & granted visa for a couple of weeks but haven't had the stomach to book my flights. It seemed too huge. A year; a whole year of my life away from home comforts, friends & family. Going to a distant place completely and utterly alone knowing not a single soul, with no idea of what to expect or how I'll get by. Suddenly I find myself plagued with thoughts of what if something happens to me? Or what if something happens at home while I'm away? What will I miss? Will I have enough money? Will there be massive spiders that will crawl into my bed and eat me while I sleep?

But I know all of that will be dispelled upon arrival... Except maybe the spider thing - that shit is real. I know that now is the time to do this. I have very little holding me here and after everything a blank slate is no bad thing. Of course I will miss my friends and family but I know they understand why I feel I need to do this - and they can always come and see me!

The way I see it, I stand on the edge of a pivotal year in my life and I have very little idea of where I'll be, or even who I'll be, when I come out the other side in 2012. But I think that's what I'm looking forward to the most.

I will be departing the evening of the 31st March and arriving in Dubai a few hours later. After just 90mins (mostly spent walking from arrivals to the gate, I'd imagine) I'll be back on a plane destined for Melbourne, where I'll arrive in the morning of the 2nd April.

So what do I do now? Hostel, travel insurance, decide what I'm taking, Australian bank, Australian phone, tax file number, medical checks, settle my affairs in the UK, see, catch up and say my goodbyes to as many people as possible and probably lots more. I have a feeling these 72 days will be gone before I know it.

How exciting! This blog can finally start to take on it's original purpose of documenting my adventures!

G x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2010 The Misadventurist All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger .

Design by themetraffic. Blogger Template by Anshul | Funny Pictures.