New job, same old shit.

Posted in: - 0 comments



Recently started a new job. After a fairly lengthy drought of applying for hundreds of jobs and getting nothing back, I jumped at the opportunity to be back making some money again. More so because I need to get some money away for travelling next year. Yet somehow I've landed myself in another job which is hardly worth the money when being as miserable as I am there. Half of me says lifes too short to be so miserable at work and that I can't put up with it for much longer (after a couple of days!). I'm 22 years old and it's about time I was doing something decent. I'm not some 16 year old work experience temp people can dump their unwanted work on. The other half says just to keep at it and think of the money. 

I arrived to be told that the job I applied for (Data & Subscriptions stuff - boring as it would be!), wouldn't need doing for a few months yet. So instead they directed me to a vast array of archive boxes full of loose papers and yep, you guessed it - I have the pleasure of sorting through them all! Sorting out what needs to be shredded and what doesn't judging by what it is and when it's from! Hurrraaahhhh!!! Doing that for four hours yesterday, paper by paper for thousands and thousands of sheets, was enough. Going back in again today and following it up for a further 7 hours for pushing it. And THEN, boy o boy, I get to sort out what we're keeping and put it all into date order too!! And remember, we're talking what must be a couple of thousand papers per box x 30 or so boxes. 

At first they tried to get me to shred all the old stuff too on some ancient shredder which only took 4 pieces of paper simultaneously and had to be emptied every 45 seconds or so. In an unventilated room. With the shredder coughing up so much paper dust. Covering all my brand new business clothes with shit (even though that was after I'd sat on the floor and lugged boxes around in them too), covering my hair in shit, making me cough my guts up. One box later (which amounted to about 5 big bin liners of shredded paper), I'd had enough. Kicked up a fuss and they decided they'd outsource it to a shredders for £60. 

And I've been told that once I finish all this mind numbing paper sorting (assuming I don't break before then and try to paper cut myself to death), I get to do some MAIL MERGEE!!!! And WRITE SOME ENVELOPES!!!... I can't help but feel this is below me. Especially seeing as I had to do tests in excel and telephone manner at the interview! 

I feel perhaps providing me with a thousand pens to sort into colours would have been a more accurate test. 

I've applied for other jobs and am praying that something turns up soon. Either way, even if nothing comes up, I can't see this lasting more than a week or so. 

So far got by with using Skype Twitter and Facebook on my phone as I'm by myself in the corner of the room out of range of prying eyes. Seems a shame to have to go back to the desks where I can't fuck about. Every cloud I suppose. 

Anyway. I know it seems ungrateful to be so hateful of a job in this day and age and in this 'economic environment' and the recession blah blah, but my god, I'm so sick of doing these shit jobs. It's about time I done something I enjoy or at least am interested in. Or something which at least challenges me a bit. "It's Money" is only a valid excuse for unhappiness for so long. You're more than welcome to see how long you'll last sorting mountains of loose papers if you care for my job. Swap you? :D 

The people aren't great either. 

Rant over!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2010 The Misadventurist All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger .

Design by themetraffic. Blogger Template by Anshul | Funny Pictures.